In addition to medical care reflexology can help stimulate the reflexes in the feet that correspond with the glands directly affected by the flu. Let’s look at how it can help!
The reflexes below are concentrated on when receiving reflexology during influenza.
- Stimulation of the Chest/Lung reflex is done due to congestion!
- The pituitary for Fever reduction. The pituitary is the master gland because it secretes hormones that affect all the other glands. This reflex affects the Antidiuretic Hormone that regulates all the water in the body and Oxytocin a stimulant that is needed.
- All glands—( Pituitary, Hypothalamus, Pineal, Thyroid, Parathyroid, Thymus, Adrenals, Pancreas, to balance body chemistry) It is important to balance body chemistry during this time to help healing.
- The Lymphatic reflex to help clean the body. When this reflex is compressed swelling in the legs can be reduced. During Influenza it helps to clear the body of toxins.
- Ileocecal Valve reflex controls the development of mucus. During Influenza this reflex is concentrated on to help reduce mucus development.
- Diaphragm Reflex relaxes stress and tension. It is an important reflex during any reflexology session and is also concentrated on if a client has influenza.
Reflexology is based on the nervous system and how it is connected to all the glands and organs of the body. It is safer than oral pain modalities and is more relaxing because it affects the whole body. We do the Ingham Method of Reflexology. It is the oldest and most effective method and does not treat medical conditions but helps the body establish homeostasis or natural balance between the systems. Talk to your doctor about putting reflexology into your medical treatment plan.
Written by Julie Ruengert LPN / IRR Reflexologist